Waking up to the news of sudden death of two extremely talented actors of the Bollywood is not just sad, but also cruel. The country is going through a lot—coronavirus pandemic is at its peak, lockdowns are extended, and the economy is crashing. And to make the situation worse, India lost its two gems of Bollywood, Irrfan Khan, and Rishi Kapoor. It feels like a personal loss.
First, the news of Irrfan Khan’s death on 29th April shocked everyone beyond belief. He bravely fought with neuroendocrine cancer, a rare type of cancer that affects the specialised cells of the body. He was diagnosed with the same in 2018. After Irrfan, losing one more star of Bollywood, Rishi Kapoor on the very next day, is heart-wrenching for their fans.He also died due to cancer.
They will always hold a special place in our hearts. Let’s know about the lives of these two legends.
Life of Irrfan Khan (1967-2020)
- He was born on 7 January 1967 in a village of Rajasthan, Tonk.
- He married to his college love, Sutapa Sikdar. They have two sons.
- His real name was ‘Sahabzade Irfan Ali Khan’ but dropped his ‘Sahabzada’ from his name.
- He changed the spelling of his name from ‘Irfan’ to ‘Irrfan’ simply because he loved the way the later sounds.
- Worked in Hindi, British, and American films.
- He died at the age of 53.
- Worked for various TV series in Bharat Ek Khoj, Sara Jahan Hamara, Chanakya, Banegi Apni Baat, etc.
- His debut film is Salaam Bombay! in 1988, but his scenes didn’t make it to the final cut.
- International films: The Warrior, The Amazing Spider-Man, Life of Pi, Jurassic World, and Slumdog Millionaire.
- Bollywood films: Lunchbox, The Namesake, Life in a…Metro, Piku, Paan Singh Tomar, Haasil, and Maqbool.
- He got his first Filmfare award for the best performance in the negative role of the film Haasil in 2004. He won the National Film Award for Paan Singh Tomar in 2013.
Paan Singh Tomar: “Beehad mein to Baaghi hote hain, Dacait milte hain parliament mein!”
Life of a Pi: “I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye.”
Haider: “Aap jism hai main rooh.. aap fani main lafani.”
Life of Rishi Kapoor (1952-2020)
- Full name Rishi Raj Kapoor, famously known as Rishi Kapoor.
- He married actress, Neetu Kapoor, and has two children, Ranbir Kapoor and Riddhima Kapoor.
- He was born to actor-director, Raj Kapoor, and Krishna Kapoor in Bombay.
- He was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer in 2018. He was in New York for his treatment for nearly a year before returning to India in 2019.
- He died at the age of 67.
- He did a cameo in his father’s film Shree 420.
- His debut in Mera Naam Jokar (1970) bagged him National film award for Best Child Artist. The film was directed by his father.
- Bobby was Rishi Kapoor’s first film in his adulthood. The film was a super-hit.
- His films were Rafoo Chakkar, Amar Akbar Anthony, Khel Khel Main, Prem Rog, Coolie, Damini, etc.
- He got Filmfare for the best actor for Bobby.
- His work was appreciated by Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008.
Laila Majnu: Nawazish, karm, shukriya, meherbani. Mujhe baksh diya aapne, zindagani!
Love Aaj Kal: Jaane se pehle, ek aakhri baar milna kyun zaroori hota hai?
Jab Tak Hai Jaan: Har ishq ka ek waqt hota hai. Woh humara waqt nahi tha, par iska ye matlab nahi ki woh ishq nahi tha.
Fans of cinema are devastated and so are Bollywood celebrities. These two beloved stars Irrfan Khan & Rishi Kapoor left us too soon, leaving a void in the cinema industry, but they will be remembered till eternity.